The gate of Agios Georgios (St. George) is situated on the eastern side of the Walls of Heraklion (Venetian Candia), below the current statue of Eleftherios Venizelos. From this gate the city communicated with the eastern Crete and the quarantine (Lazareto - so it is also known as Gate Lazaretto). Another name was Gate Maroulas, as it headed to the neighborhood of Maroulas, below the current school Kapetanakion and the bastion of Saint Demetrius.
The vaulted 45m long gallery often hosts exhibitions of painters, photographer, sculptors etc. The gallery connects the Eleftherias Square with Ikarou Avenue, next to the old flour mills of Kastrinakis.
The gate was buried for many years below the level of the square Eleftherias, but was brought again to light during the 2000s. It was built in 1565, as proved by the embossed inscription on the exterior gate. The facade of the gate was demolished in 1917. It was decorated with coats of arms and sculpted lions, and the name of the General Paul Tzortzis. Its name comes after the imposing relief representation of Saint George on his horse, which today is exhibited in the Historical Museum of Crete.