On the north side of the Kornarou square we meet the Venetian Bembo Fountain and the Turkish sebil (charity fountain) built later. The fountain was constructed between the years 1552-1554 during the rule of the captain Gian Matteo Bembo, who first watered Candia with spring water via aqueduct.
The fountain bears Gothic and Renaissance samples and the coats of arms of the Duke Gritti and Tiepolo, Emo and Marino. The spout of the fountain bears embossed decoration with plant scenes.
There was a marble basin for collecting water, which originally must have been a Roman sarcophagus. The fountain was topped by pediment that was removed later. In the middle of the fountain stands a large headless Roman statue from Ierapytna (current Ierapetra). It is documented that during the last years of the Ottoman rule, the statue was painted black and worshiped by the black residents of Grand Castle.
During works in 1938 the tank for the collection of water was removed, upon which the fountain was embedded.