The Ottomans during the Ottoman period built in various parts of the Big Castle (current Heraklion) several charitable fountains (sebils) for cooling passers but also to meet their religious needs.
The sebil of Kornarou Square, which now houses a municipal coffee shop, was built in 1776 by Hadji Ibrahim Aga who spent his entire fortune on its maintenance. It is a polygonal building with arched windows. Under each window there was a tap and a stone trough.
Such fountains were also built in other parts of Iraklion, did could not escape the destructive "modernization" mania of local mayors of the 20th century.