The Venetians used to build a luxurious building in each of their cities, where the nobles could pleasantly spend their time and socialize. In Candia, they built the Loggia (meaning Noble Club) which is now met on the August 25 Street.
The Loggia we see today is the fourth, in a series, phase of the building and is considered one of the finest monuments left by the Venetians in Crete. It was built in 1628 under the general captain Francesco Morosini, who is aso known for the beautiful fountain of the Lions a bit meters further.
The exterior of the building bears 82 risers decorated with coats of arms and trophies, while the ground floor hosts a very nice patio room. The Loggia is connected with the building of Armeria, namely the city armory.
In the early 20th century the ruined loggia was demolished completely, despite strong reactions, in honor of "modernization" of the city, as it was considered dangerous for public safety. Fortunately it was largely restored after WWII. Today it houses the municipal services of Heraklion.