The fountain that we meet today in the north wall of the Venetian Loggia was built by the Duke Jiovani Sagredo during 1602-1604 to serve the nobles who were gathered in the Loggia.
It originally was installed on the west side of Saint Titus and was moved at its current position later, during the restoration of Loggia. Even today it preserves the relief statue of the female representation of Crete, between two small pillars, which was holding a bat in its right hand and a shield in the left. At the top there is the inscription "Cura Sagredi profluit ista ducis" ie. Under the care of Sagredo, flows this water.
The trough of the fountain was part of an ancient sarcophagus and bore two big roses in front that represented the Annunciation on a desk decorated with lilies. At the edge of the trough there was a sign of the 16th century. The trough was destroyed when the Germans bombed Heraklion during the Second World War.