The Church of Saint Demetrius near the Venetian harbor of Heraklion is built on the site of an older church of St. Demetrius, who was the patron saint of the carpenters of Heraklion during the Venetian era (every profession then had its patron saint!). The only surviving part of the initial church is a part of frescoes inside the sanctuary.
The church during the Turkish Era was three-aisled but was deserted. It collapsed completely during the bombing of Heraklion by the Germans in '41. The temple was declared as preserved in 1947, restored in the 1950s and inaugurated in 1964.