Saint John the Hermit and the 98 Holy Fathers settled at Selino province, setting the basis for an exceptional ascetic tradition. Today, the wider area of Selino and Kissamos forms an extended Byzantine Park with several frescoed temples.
The cemeterial temple of Michael Archangel is located next to the church of the Holy Trinity (Agia Triada) in Kakodiki, province Selino, and is an elongated arched church with a pointed arch, reinforced by three reinforcing arches (sfendonia) supported by pillars.
The cemeterial temple of Christ the Savior is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior and is located in the village of Plemeniana in province Selino. It is built on the site of an Early Christian temple, as can be seen from the many marble architectural members that are embedded into the walls or are scattered around.
The temple of Michael Archangel is hidden amidst centuries-old olive groves a few meters out of the settlement Sarakina, province Selino, and very close to the village cemetery. The church is built on the site of the middle aisle of a three-aisled and wooden-roofed early Christian basilica, from which part of the arch of the sanctuary is preserved.
The church of Saint John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople, is located in the village Sarakina, province Selino. It is a small one-room arch-roofed temple and houses a wood-carved iconostasis inside. It also has a wall frescoes that have suffered almost complete destruction.
The church of Panagia in Sklavopoula, region of Selino, belongs to the architectural type of the one-storey arched-roofed and is dedicated to the Dormition of Theotokos. Inside it bears frescoes dating from the first half of the 14th century and attributed to a very capable hagiographer who introduced to Crete the developments of the Paleologic style.
In the full of chestnuts region of the settlement of Kamiliana, province Selino, near Strovles, there is the temple of Michael Archangel or Astratigos. The church belongs to the architectural type of the single-roomed and arched-roofed and dates back to 1430.
In the upper neighborhood of the village Strovles, in the province of Selino, we meet built the church of the Holy Cross (Timios Stavros), which was used as a cemetery in the past. The church dates back to about 1440 and belongs to the architectural type of the arched-roofed single-storey temple, to which a heavy bell tower has been added in a second phase.