Saint John the Hermit and the 98 Holy Fathers settled at Selino province, setting the basis for an exceptional ascetic tradition. Today, the wider area of Selino and Kissamos forms an extended Byzantine Park with several frescoed temples.
The cemeterial church of Agia Paraskevi is located near the villages Kityros and Voutas. It is a single-aisled vaulted temple and its interiori bears frescoes dating back from 1372-3. Some of the frescoes depict sinners and their punishment.
The church of St Anna at settlement Anisaraki by Kandanos is one of the most important Byzantine churches of Crete, adorned with very important frescoes dating back from 1457-1462. The iconostasis was painted and bears wooden screen.
The small village of Prodromi at province Selino hosts some very old temples with wall frescues of the Venetian era. One of them, Panagia Skafidiani is located at position Skafidakia or Skafidia and has beautiful views to the surrounding area. Inside it bears frescoes dating back from 1347 by painter Ioakim, who belonged to the workshop of the famous painter of Eastern Crete, Ioannis Pagomenos.
The church of Panagia at Anisaraki settlement, by Kandanos is a single-aisled vaulted temple with two reinforcing strainers (narthexes). There is a Venetian gate in the western wall, while the original entrance was on the south wall (we still see the arch and an inscription of 1614). The church bears frescoes in good condition, dating back to 1390-1400.
The temple of Lord Christ is located at the beautiful neighbourhood Lazopouliana at village Temenia. It is a Byzantine church built at two phases; the first was in the 13th century and the initial temple was single aisled. The domed part of the church was added in the 14th century. The walls bear beautiful frescoes dating back from the 13th century.
Next to the church of Panagia (Virgin Mary) at the settlement Anisaraki by Kandanos we find the single-nave vaulted church of Agia Paraskevi. The church bears frescoes in poor condition from the first half of the 14th century.
From Prodromi village of Selino province starts a dirt track leading eastwards to the gorge of Lissos. On the way we meet the small, single-aisled church of Saint George (Agios Georgios). The interior bears frescoes dating back from the 14th century by Ioannis Pagomenos, one of the most famous painters of Eastern Crete.
At village Kambanos in Selino province we meet the small and single-room church dedicated to Saint Onoufrios (Onuphrius). The cinterior bears samples of frescoes dating back to the Venetian era.