Elyros was the most important town in southwestern Crete during the Doric and Roman Periods. Ruins are conserved 500m far from the village Rodovani atop the panoramic hill Kefala. The town had two harbors: Syia(current Sougia) and Lissos. The exact location of the town was verified by an inscription with the phrase in Greek "Glory to the people of Elyros".
Aquaworld Aquarium has been operating since 1995 by John McLaren and is located very close to the main road of Hersonissos.
The Open-air Museum Lychnostatis was founded in 1992 by the doctor and collector George Makrakis. The buildings themselves are some of the main exhibits as they were built thoroughly with the prevalent raw materials (stone-wood-clay).
The Archaeological Museum of Rethymnon is temporarily hosted in the basilica of Agios Fragiskos (St Francis) in the old town of Rethymnon. It hosts exhibits from various excavations around the prefecture of Rethymnon which represent all periods from the Neolithic Age to the Roman period.
At the cape of Souda, above the shrine on the beach of Agia Pelagia we see some traces of the excavations carried out by Stylianos Alexiou. At this point he discovered the most important archaeological site of the wider area, the Prytaneum of the Hellenistic town of Apollonia (or maybe Panormos).
Elafonissi, the "Tomb of the ships" came to surface in February 1907 when the Austrian ship Imperatrix was sank here with 182 people (crew and passengers). During the event, 38 people were drowned and buried on the penisnula. If there were not the Russian ship Hivendis, the monks of Chrysoskalitissa monastery and some locals, who swam in the stormy sea to rescue the shipwrecked people, and then treated them, there would be more drowned passengers.
The beautiful arched bridge of Prevelis is met on the way to the homonym monastery and crosses Megas River which empties at the famous beach of Preveli. It was built in the 18th century by monks of the monastery.