The exhibition - collection for the History of Burial in Crete has been operating since 2015 inside the municipal cemetery of Saints Constantine and Helen in Heraklion. The building that houses the collection was built around 1890 to be used as an ossuary. The cemetery also contains tombs associated with the recent history of the city and Crete, such as the cemetery of 18 young Englishmen who fell defending the freedom of Crete on August 25, 1898, the tomb of the Archbishop of Crete Evgenios Psalidakis, the tombs of politicians, resistance, writers and prominent people of Heraklion. It is noteworthy that the area of 2.4 hectares surrounding the Burial Museum is adorned with sculptures of special value and beauty.
The exhibition space "The History of Burial" consists of 2 floors. Downstairs there are church objects from the 16th century, but also paintings of special beauty that depict themes related to the place. The upper floor presents the History of Burial in Crete from the Minoan era until today. The space includes jars, larnakes, sarcophagi, as well as various other objects. There is also a room for the presentation of woodworks and hagiography.