Plastira Street, Heraklion
The deserted today Pananio Municipal Hospital was constructed at the expense of Pananos Theodoulakis and his wife Athena Anemogianni. Its construction began in 1895, but it was interrupted due to the great revolution of 1896 and restarted in November 2016, to stop again in 1897. During the Cretan State era works started again (in 1900) and on 10 February 1902 the hospital opened its gates. After the operation of the new Pananio-Venizelio general Hospital near Knossos in 1953, the hospital stopped its operation.The place where the complex was built was chosen, after investigation, as the healthiest within Heraklion old town. The architecture of rooms and facades follows the classical standards of its time, combined with the strict functionality imposed by the use of the building. In the center of the complex there is a large patio that hosts a church dedicated to Saint Panteleimon, the protector of the patients. The church was originally granted to the patron Saint of Heraklion, Saint Minas, but was later handed to the Municipality of Heraklion.