Some attractions of Heraklion are the giant Venetian walls (the largest in the Mediterranean) with the various gates, the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion, the Historical Museum of Crete, the Natural History Museum of Crete, etc. Moreover, in the historic center, it is worth visiting Loggia, the square with the Fountain of Lions, the Street August 25, the central market, the Basilica of San Marco, the churches of Saint Titos, Saint Minas, Saint Catherine, Saint Peter and the Venetian Harbour with the imposing seaside fortress of Koules. Lastly, in the evening you can stroll or cycle on the pedestrian road seaside to the Pancretan Stadium.
The Villa Ariadne was built in 1906 to reside archaeologist Arthur Evans and during the Second World War housed the German commander of Crete. Here was signed the delivery of Crete to the Allies.
The deserted today Pananio Municipal Hospital was constructed at the expense of Pananos Theodoulakis and his wife Athena Anemogianni. Its construction began in 1895, but it was interrupted due to the great revolution of 1896 and restarted in November 1896, to stop again in 1897. During the Cretan State era works started again (in 1900) and on 10 February 1902 the hospital opened its gates. After the operation of the new Pananio-Venizelio general Hospital near Knossos in 1953, the hospital stopped its operation.
The Saint George Barracks, today’s Region of Crete and former Prefecture of Heraklion, were built by the Venetians in the 16th century to quarter approximately 700 soldiers, but were later destroyed by an earthquake.
The Small Serai is located at 21 Evropis Street and was used as the residence of Little Bey, a wealthy Muslim Cretan. Today it is a privately property and operates as a restaurant.
An excellent example of the late Neoclassicism is the building known as «Mavraki House», property of the «Alpha Bank». It was probably erected in the second decade of the 20th century in the neighbourhood Retzep Agha no. 167 street, which a little later was called Sfakion street. The first owner Zaharias Ieronymakis bequested it in 1921 to his son Heraklis Ieronymakis who sold it to Emmanouil Pantelakis.
The derelict flour mill of Kastrinakis is located within the Municipal Parking of Heraklion and has been declared as a protected monument since 1997, awaiting patiently for its restoration. The land was purchased by Nikolaos Kastrinakis in 1896 and in 1904 he built the initial flour mill and the furnaces.
The Venetian armoury (Armeria or Armarento) is situated between the Loggia and St. Titus Square. Although it served a different purpose than the noble's club, the two buildings formed a single complex.
Here we meet an important sample of later Neoclassicism in Heraklion built in 1907 belonging to Chatzidakis family. The building is known as French School because it housed the French Institute of Heraklion in the past. The floor plans are very similar to another well-known building of Crete, the villa of Koundouros at Chania.