Some attractions of Heraklion are the giant Venetian walls (the largest in the Mediterranean) with the various gates, the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion, the Historical Museum of Crete, the Natural History Museum of Crete, etc. Moreover, in the historic center, it is worth visiting Loggia, the square with the Fountain of Lions, the Street August 25, the central market, the Basilica of San Marco, the churches of Saint Titos, Saint Minas, Saint Catherine, Saint Peter and the Venetian Harbour with the imposing seaside fortress of Koules. Lastly, in the evening you can stroll or cycle on the pedestrian road seaside to the Pancretan Stadium.
The Venetians used to build a luxurious building in each of their cities, where the nobles could pleasantly spend their time and socialize. In Candia, they built the Loggia (meaning Noble Club) which is now met on the August 25 street.
The grave of the important Cretan writer Nikos Kazantzakis (1883-1957) is located at the highest point of the Walls of Heraklion, the Martinengo Bastion, with panoramic views to the ugly, but also historical, concrete jungle of Heraklion.
Revolutionary in its time, this was the first multi-storey building to appear in Heraklion and the first apartment block to be equipped with a lift. It was built between the years 1926-1930.
The Bodosakis School was built in the 1930s with a donation of 1919 by the Greek manufacturer from Minor Asia Prodromos Athanasiadis (his name Prodromos in Turkish is Bodossakis. The building now houses the 2nd Primary School of Heraklion.
The building at 8 Agiou Mina Str was a drapery shop owned by Hussein Muharem Litsardakis. Built of stone and wood with a tiled timbered roof, it was erected in the closing years of Ottoman rule and inaugurated in 1892.
It is a characteristic example of the Balkan architecture with clear neoclassical influence. The size, the structure of the rooms, the variety of the forms of the other parts and the high aesthetic conception establish the building unique in Heraklion.
This house is one of the most elegant examples of the late 'romantic' Neoclassicism. It was built in the first decade of the 20th century by the architect D. Kyriakou, probably influenced by the bilding of Stathatos at Queen Olga avenue, Athens (architect Ernst Ziller).
The house of John Chronakis is a beautiful Ottoman house in the center of Heraklion, which belonged to the Bey Rasih Asprakis. It was restored in 1991 and houses various art objects. Apart from the exhibits, the visitor can see the hammam, the indoor fountain, the murals, the woodwork and rich decorations of ceilings of this excellent sample of Ottoman mansion.