Church of Panagia at

Thronos

Church of Panagia at Thronos
(3 votes)

The church of Panagia Throniotissa is located in the village of Thronos, province Amari, on the site where the ancient city of Syvritos was built. The church was built on the ruins of an early Christian basilica of the 4th century which may have been the seat (throne) of the diocese of Syvritos, despite its relatively small dimensions. The early Christian basilica was excavated in 1983, when the foundations of a three-aisled church with a narthex measuring 21m x 12.5m were unveiled.

The church of Panagia has been built in the arch of the sanctuary of the central aisle of the supposed diocese seat at the beginning of the 14th century. It is a one-room vaulted roofed temple with an impressive doorway bearing the coat of arms of the Kallergis, the strongest Orthodox Christian family during the Venetian occupation. On the floor of the church are preserved traces of mosaics dating to the 6th century, while perhaps the most important element is the excellent frescoe decoration of the early 14th century attributed to two different painters. One painter follows the folklore conservative style of the 13th century, while the other follows the Palaeologian art (from Constantinople). The impressive enthroned Panagia (Virgin Mary) is depicted on the sides.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Location: Rethymnon Prefecture
  • Type: Church
  • Peak Period: Venetian Era (1204 AD - 1669 AD)
  • Accessibility: Paved road

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net