One mile southwest of Neapolis town, on the northern slopes of Mount Kavalaras, there is the beautiful grove of Pashaligo. The small forest takes its name after the Venetian feudal lord Fillipo Pasqualigo, the military governor of Candia (1592-1600), who used to live in a nearby Tower.
The tower of Pasqualigo and its surroundings were watered by several ditches carrying water from the nearby spring Vigli. In the area there are still ruins from several water mills, one olive oil factory (fabrica) and one water tank, belonging to the same building complex. This complex operated as the tower of Pasqualigo, who is still memorized by his emblem carved on a stone column.
Later, the inhabitants of the wider region came here and built more mills or used the older ones. They were the first inhabitants of a new settlement, that was named Kenourgio Chorio (New Village). This settlement later evolved into the former capital of Lassithi Prefecture, the current town of Neapolis. Today in Paschaligo the visitor will admire the lush vegetation, the gurgling waters and will observe the old mills.