The Monastery of Kremasti or Kremasta is located south of Neapolis town, on the road connecting the town to the village Vrisses, at a position overlooking Neapolis. It is built with forting architecture on a steep wooded hillside of the Mount Kavalaras and gives the impression that it’s hanging, a phenomenon to which the monastery owes its name (Kremasti means hanging).
The exact name of the monastery is the Monastery of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel in Kremasti and is dedicated to these saints. It is believed that it was built in 1593 and it has played a very important role in the education of locals during the Turkish Era. The main is located on the northern edge of the monastery. Outside the fortress complex, there was built a newer church dedicated to Myrrhbearers. A Laboratory for Religious Painting is also run by nuns coming from Romania.
- 1593: The monk Mitrofanis Agapitos founds the monastery.
- 1622: Nikiforos Anifant builds the church
- 1821: Petros Dorotheos founds the school of the monastery, which soon gains immense fame throughout Lassithi prefecture.
- 1866: The Turks destroy the monastery. The monks manage to escape and hide the sacred relics and books of the monastery in a nearby cave, but they are severely damaged by moisture.
- 1868: The Turkish commander of Lassithi, Kostis Adosidis Pasha, settles in the monastery while he coordinates the building of the Headquarters of Lassithi Prefecture in Neapolis, the new capital of Lassithi.
- 1940: During the German Occupation, guerillas find shelter in Kremasti.
- 1992: Bishop Nektarios renovates the monastery.