Panagia Koubelina Church

Houmeriakos

Panagia Koubelina Church at Houmeriakos
(1 Vote)

The church of Panagia Koubelina is dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary (Panagia) and is a very important Byzantine monument. It is the only surviving sample of cruciform domed church in East Crete.

The main part of the church dates back from the late 11th or early 12th century, and during the Venetian Era a narthex was added to the west of the main temple. The church was completely restored in 2008 by the Archaeological Service but no frescoes survive.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Location: Lassithi Prefecture
  • Type: Church
  • Peak Period: Second Byzantine Era (961 AD - 1204 AD)
  • Accessibility: Paved road

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net