The church of Saint Athanasius (Agios Athanasios) is located just outside the village Kefali of the area called Nine Villages in Kissamos province. The single-nave arched temple is surrounded by a beautiful piney park and its interior has a reinforcing arch.
Internally it rescues part of the original fresco decoration dating back to 1393, according to the inscription depicting the founder of the temple named Anna Moscanna. It is believed that the frescoes were painted by a skilled hagiographer following the Paleologean art and are associated with the noble family Kallergis., who probably invited him from the Constantinople.
The iconographic program includes equestrian saints on the low zones, including the hugged saints Theodore and George and martyrs in the reinforcing arch.