In the area of Agia Irini at Spilia there is the largest of the aqueduct bridges built in Crete in order to solve the water shortage problem of the Grand Castle (today's Heraklion). Through this water bridge built during the Egyptian occupation (1830-40) the water was transferred from the Fountana spring in Kounavi and from the Miliaras spring in Skalani, to the center of Heraklion, after it had been merged with the water coming through the Venetian aqueduct of Morozini.
The reason for the construction was the identification by the Egyptians of the ancient Roman aqueduct of Knossos, with an underground tunnel 1150m long, which was cleaned, opened and restored. The east entrance of the tunnel survives in excellent condition, while the west is blocked by soil. The area is ideal for a walk, as in the adjacent church of Agia Irini (Saint Irene) there is a very beautiful park with trees and benches.