About one kilometer southeast of the village Skalani, Heraklion Province, at the position Aposami survives today the medieval monastery of St. Minas. Built at a very fertile area amid vineyards and olive groves endures until today the fate of abandonment and desolation as so many unknown treasures and monuments of Cretan countryside.
It still stands without a roof and walls. This is the only monastery that has been recorded in Crete dedicated to St Minas and the oral tradition tells that it has played an important role having housed the bishop of Crete (St Minas). Saint Minas remained forgotten till 1980 when one professor at the University of Crete (Theoharis Detorakis) found some notarial documents in the State Archives of Venice.
There is still a testimony of 1598 that granted the lands of the monastery for cultivation and a second, more important in 1627 which informs us that the monastery has collapsed and forced Piero Salamon to take action in order to repair the damage. After 1627 there are no documents for Saint Minas, so it is supposed that after the Turkish invasion of the island it was deserted.
No images found.