Outside the village Syrmeso, near Neapolis, there are two monasteries dating back in the 16th century, which are no longer inhabited, and only their main churches survive. The first one is the male monastery of Saint Anthony (Agios Antonios) and the second is the nunnery of Saint Barbara (Agia Varvara).
The church of Saint Barbara is a single-vaulted church with. There are ruins of the medieval buildings around the monastery and the arch above the entrance hosts a mural of Saint Barbara. The best preserved is the elongated two-storey building in the west. It is preserved in good condition with a vaulted ground floor, while the floor is semi ruined.
- 1590: Emmanuel Koudoumnis and George Karistinos grant their land to the monk Nicodemus Kalochrysos so as to build two monasteries.
- 1590-1591: Nicodemus builds the first convent of Santa Barbara.
- 1591-95: Nicodemus builds the male monastery of St. Anthony.
- 1608: Saint Anthony becomes a property of the nearby Areti Monastery.
- 1617: Saint Anthony is converted into a nunnery.
- 1635: Santa Barbara is referred to as a property of monk Malachios Kalochrysos.