The ruined monastery of Agios Dimitrios is owned by the village of Mesohorio and was formerly a small settlement. From the Byzantine monastery still stands the church of Agios Dimitrios (Saint Demetrius) with very old frescoes. In the churchyard there are the remains of the monk cells.
The monastery was mentioned in a document of 1848 as deserted, It was a small convent with a few monks that worked in stock breeding. According to tradition, the monastery was destroyed by the constant raids of the Turks, as it hosted several Cretan rebels.