The Tower of Agios Georgios (Saint George) was built at the village Agios Georgios of Sitia province, which was then called Tourtouli. It was the residence of ordakayasi (Turkish commander) of Sitia, Ibrahim Afentakis or Afentakakis. It was an complete tower with a large courtyard and prisons. Remains of this house are preserved to this day, while the coat of arms of Afentakakis is preserved in a watermill.
Afentakis was the general dervish of the region and had unlimited political, judicial and religious powers, which he exercised arbitrarily against the Christians. His wife was a Christian from Lastros, so the villages on the northern coast escaped his slaughter.
According to historical records, in 1821 he ordered a general massacre of the Christians of his region and the number of the killed locals exceeded 700. Especially, on 27 June 1821, Afentakakis slaughtered 300 Greek Cretans at the village Tourtouli, who had been invited to be given a message from the Sultan.
According to tradition, Afentakakis once managed to seduce the daughter of a Christian family. The mother reported his act to a senior Ottoman officer, who ordered Afendakakis to appear in a court in Heraklion. Afentakis, realizing that he was in danger, rode his horse and disappeared as soon as possible. However, once passing near Heraklion, he was arrested and killed.
Afentakakis also owned a second chateau at Adravasti village.