The three-aisled church of Panagia is located in the center of the village Epano Episkopi near Sitia and is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin, to Saint John the Baptist and Saint George. The church was the seat of the Diocese of Sitia during the Byzantine period and the Catholic Bishop during the Venetian occupation.
As depicted in the coat of arms at the entrance, in 1566 Bishop Gaspar Viviarius and four priests resided in the diocese. The temple today contains parts of the initial church, as it once collapsed and was restored with modern interventions. The north wall has an arcosolium (burial monument), while traces of frescoes are preserved in some places.