The province of Amari at the foothills of Psiloritis Range and Mount Kentros was a great monastic center, with many countryside monasteries throughout its territory.
Above the village Ano Meros, on Kedros mount, there is the old uninhabited Monastery of Kaloidena with the restored Byzantine temple dedicated to Lord Christ. Today, apart from the church, almost nothing reminds the monastery.
The church of St. John the Divine is located at position Foti by Gerakari and was the temple of a small monastery. It bears frescoes of two phases: the 13th century and 14th-15th century.
The monastery of Asomati is located 35km southeast of Rethymnon, amid a verdant valley of Amari formed between Kedros Mount and Ida Range. The church of the monastery is dedicated to the Archangels (= Asomati).
In one of the greenest areas of Crete, Amari, at the hilltop of Veni hill you will meet the deserted monastery of Saint Anthony and the homonym cavernous temple celebrating on January 17.
The church of Panagia (Our Lady) Petraida or Petradia was the temple of a small monastery that operated here in the 16th century, possibly as a dependency of the monastery of Asomati. The only surviving element of the monastery is located above the entrance, which bears the date 1843 and the name of monk Joseph who was an abbot in 1860.
The church of Agios Nikolaos in Platania, Amari province, is located west of the village, below the road leading to Vistagi. It is a small single-naved arch-roofed temple that bears frescoes dating back from the 14th century in moderate condition.
At the cemetery of the village Pantanassa in province Amari, Rethymnon, we meet the impressive double aisled temple dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and the Holy Trinity. The temple was built in 1645 and its owner was Manolis Vlastos. The doors bear really interesting Gothic elements, while its interior preserves an arcosol (a type of tomb) dating back to 1594, probably belonging to a member of the Vlastos family.
The church of Panagia in village Platania, Amari province, is located in the center of the village and is a single-room vaulted temple with a semi-cylindrical arch. It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and celebrates on the 15th of August.