The monastery of Panagia Thymiani is located near Sfakia at position Thyme Armi and is one of the most historic sites in Crete. Here on May 29, 1821 the chieftains of Crete preached revolution against the Ottoman Empire. Therefore, the monastery is also called Agia Lavra of Crete (Agia Lavra is a monastery in Peloponnese from where the great Greek Revolution of 1821 started, leading to the liberation of Greece).
The first temple existed since the 15th century, but during the revolution of Daskalogiannis (1770) it was burned down by the Turks. A new double aisled church was built, dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary and the Holy Trinity. The miraculous icon of Panagia soon increased the fame and fortune of the church, and soon was inhabited by a few monks. In 1905 the monastery became a dependency of the Monastery Preveli.