The lake and the river Almyros in the area of Georgioupolis form one of the most important wetlands of western Crete. In the lake, we find many aquatic birds and aquatic plants like reeds, myrtles, and oleanders. The lake is natural and is watered by the water of the White Mountains. The bank has been formed in order to assist in the operation of a small 300kW hydroelectric power station, which has been operating since 1956. After the lake the river continues its short course to the sea, in the meanwhile it merges with the Boutakas River.
By the end of the 19th century, the wider area was a marsh, and malaria prohibited systematic habitation; people lived in nearby villages at higher altitudes. The marsh was then drained, limiting the waters in the area of today's lake, and new fertile fields were created. At that time, the towering eucalyptus trees of Georgioupolis were also planted, as these trees are widely used in drainage works because they retain large amounts of moisture but also reduce the population of mosquitoes. Since then, the area has become safe and Almyroupoli (town of Almiros) was officially founded in 1893 before it was renamed Georgioupolis in honor of Prince George in 1899.
The name Almyros (meaning Salty) is due to the fact that the water is mixed with seawater and is brackish. The same name and reason of origin exist for two more important wetlands of Crete, Almyros in Heraklion and Almyros in Agios Nikolaos in East Crete.