The very quiet area of Makrigialos with the small fertile plane and the sheltered sandy beach could not be ignored by the Minoans, who left important traces of habitation. The main finding is a rural mansion, a miniature Minoan palace in position Plakakia, found in 1971 by Kostas Davaras.
The villa dates back from 1480-1425BC and was probably a center of commercial control of the plane of Makrigialos and its harbor. It was destroyed by fire. The mansion had a large central courtyard, tiled floors, strong external walls, secondary courtyards, rooms, a sanctuary and a place where a sacred palm tree was located; it is seen in a stamp depicting a sacred ship, a priestess and a palm tree.