The fertile valley and the sheltered harbor of Makrigialos was an ideal location for its habitation throughout the ages. One of the relics of the past is the Roman villa which was unearthed at Katovigli position in 1977, above the current port of Makrigialos, by the archaeologist N. Papadakis. Earlier, looted graves and a headstone of the 4th century AD were found on site.
It is a large luxurious mansion that operated from the 1st century BC till the 3rd century AD. The villa occupied at least 1500 sq.m. and had a central courtyard with rooms around, warehouses and a bathing system with tanks. The entrance was covered by a mosaic floor with geometric and floral patterns, while the rooms had marble floors. A funerary room with a built burrial room, an oven with arched opening and typical existence of ash are also parts of the complex.
The impressive bath system (balneum) had a horseshoe-shaped marble pool. The water was channeled from the tanks through pipes.