The monastery of Ayiasmenos (Hallowed, Sanctified) is located 2km north of Ierapetra, near the main road connecting the town with Pahia Ammos. The church of the monastery is dedicated to Agii Pantes (All Saints) and in the late 19th century it hosted the home of the Bishop of Ierapetra and Sitia. Today Ayiasmenos operates as a female monastery and the church of All Saints celebrates on the first Sunday after Pentecost. Moreover, it celebrates on the first Sunday after Easter that is the anniversary of the inauguration of the temple.
The history of Ayiasmenos Monastery, although short, is very interesting. In 1890, the locals found a tomb with the bones of an unknown monk, which exuded a beautiful scent and are now stored near the entrance of the monastery. This was considered miraculous and the bishop of Ierapetra and Sitia transferred the seat of the local Diocese in this place and named it Ayiasmenos (sanctified) after the unknown monk. It is noteworthy that several people have witnessed miracles that occurred in the monastery.
- May 1, 1890: The tomb with the fragrant bones of the unknown monk is found and this event is considered miraculous.
- Sunday of St. Thomas, 1891: The Church of All Saints is inaugurated.
- January 17, 1891: The bishop of Ierapetra and Sitia Ambrosios Sfakianakis transfers the diocese at Ayiasmenos monastery.
- 1900: The Agricultural Station of Ierapetra is installed temporarily in Ayiasmenos, till 1902.
- 1918: The bishop's seat moves to Ierapetra and Ayiasmenos property is rented to the Agricultural Authority of Ierapetra. The monastery gets deserted and the buildings collapse.
- 1990: The reconstruction of the monastery starts. The main temple, monk cells, guest rooms and other buildings are restored.
- 1994: The monastery re-operates as a nunnery.