The church of Saint George in Ierapetra is the most important in the city and Saint George is the patron saint of Ierapetra. The church is three-aisled with a dome on a high drum and follows the architectural standards of the Turkish occupation and is reminiscent of Saint Titus in Heraklion.
The temple was built in 1856 by Chatzimanolis's workshop on the site of a smaller temple dedicated to the same saint, as shown on a map of 1640. The roof has a wooden skeleton coated with mortar, and the columns on the inside probably come from the original parts of temples of ancient Ierapetra. In 1936 the church was extended to the east by about 3m.