About one kilometer southeast of the village Skalani, Heraklion Province, at the position Aposami survives today the medieval monastery of St. Minas. Built at a very fertile area amid vineyards and olive groves endures until today the fate of abandonment and desolation as so many unknown treasures and monuments of Cretan countryside.
Panagia Evangelistria church is located in the courtyard of the school of Avdou and is the oldest temple in the area, dating since the 12th-13th century. It's a small domed cruciform temple with exceptional frescoes and relief decor.
The deserted monastery of St. John the Baptist (celebr. August 29) is located at position Skouras above Elounda lagoon. The temple is a renovated single-aisled, arched basilica next to the ruins of the monk cells, a water tank and a two-storey 19th century building with a stable on the ground floor.
The Byzantine church of Panagia at Alagni has a particular cruciform architecture with a dome, while an arcosolium (Venetian tomb) is attached to its exterior wall.
At position Megalo Korasi, north of the Dories village, we meet the small renovated church of Panagia Korasani, which previously served as a small monastery. The chapel was dedicated to Virgin Mary (celebrated November 21).
By Sarchos we meet one of the most impressive churches of Cretan innerland with a beautiful relief entrance and rear window, which is dedicated to the Birth of the Virgin Mary. The church dates back to the 14th century and is double-aisled, bearing very important frescoes.
Atop Aorakia hill we meet the Church of All Saints. It was built in the Venetian Era (before 1669) and bears traces of frescoes.
The village Apostoli in the province of Amari hosts several churches, the most important of which is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The temple is located at the cemetery of the village and is small signle-nave, dating back from the 14th century. The walls bear frescoes that have suffered severe damage.














































































