In the area of the village of Mourne in the province of Agios Vassilios there are many scattered deserted settlements such as Diplochori, Lakkos, Astratigos, Dendrika, Katsogrida, and Epizygos. The existence of many ruined Byzantine monuments testifies to the prosperous course of the settlements in the past.
A network of inaccessible dirt roads from Mourne and Frati leads to one of the most impressive locations in the area, where the mountain village Diplochori was built. Today it is almost impossible to see the walls of the houses, as they are covered by dense vegetation.
Among the ancient olive groves, three temples survive: the ruined roofless church of Saint John (Agios Ioannis) very close to the local spring, the old church of Saint George (Agios Georgios) just before we reach the settlement, and the impressive church of Panagia. The church of Panagia is dedicated to Life Giving Spring (Zoodochos Pigi) and celebrates on the first Friday after Easter.
Initially, the church was a single aisled naive and was covered with frescoes that date back to the beginning of the 14th century. At the beginning of the 15th century, it was extended to the west with an arched part, destroying the decoration of the western wall. The new section was frescoed in 1417, as preserved in the founding inscription on the north wall, by the couple Leontakis and Anna Troullinos. In the 20th century, a small aisle was added to the south that does not communicate with the main church.
On the west wall, we can see the great representation of the Second Coming with Hell, the Judge's Apostles, the Deesis, and scenes of sinners. On the south wall, we see Adam and Eve in Paradise. Among the evangelical scenes, the depiction of ancient Greek philosophers who foretell the coming of Christ is also impressive.