Church of Kato Saint George at

Kroustas

Church of Kato Saint George at Kroustas
(1 Vote)

The Kato (lower) St. George  at Kroustas near Kritsa was founded in 13th century and is adjacent to another newer church of St. George. It is a small single-nave, barrel-vaulted church, with buttresses at the southern wall and its entrance on the west. The openings are adorned with stone reliefs of the time of the Venetian rule. The internal surfaces of the church were covered with frescoes. From these decorative frescoes, a few survive up to the present time, Prelates in the niche of the sanctuary, the Birth of Christ, the Triumphal entry of Jesus in Jerusalem, and other.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Location: Lassithi Prefecture
  • Type: Church
  • Peak Period: Venetian Era (1204 AD - 1669 AD)
  • Accessibility: Paved road

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net