During the Venetian occupation, the double-aisled temple of Jesus Christ our Savior in Kritsa gave the name Christos to the neighborhood around, which was then considered a separate settlement, and operated as its cemetery. Here, the father of the legendary woman Kritsotopoula was a priest. Kritsotopoula is well known because she fought against the Turks dressed as a man at Kapetan Kazanis' side and is believed to have been buried here as well.
The southern part consists of the original aisle of the 13th century dedicated to the Transfiguration and the 14th-century square stavrotholion (burial building). The northern aisle is dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian (Agii Anargyri) and was added in 1877. Particular characteristics are the two small niches on both sides of the central arch, which were common in temples of the Byzantine Crete.
The interior retains some fragments of frescoes dating from the late 12th century to the early 13th century. The scenes from the 14th century include the Second Coming, which was painted by the same hagiographer that decorated the central aisle of Panagia (Our Lady) Kera. Also, one can see the figure of the temple founder called Choniatis.