Near the villages Alagni and Patsideros of Heraklion prefecture, on a low hill, lies the deserted village of Rouma. We do not know when it was founded, but it is referred in the census of 1630 and is supposed to have been deserted due to plague. Rouma in the Cretan dialect means stream and is taken after the stream next to the village, where a spring with fresh water flows all year round.
Next to the spring, at position Kato Rouma, in a small oak grove, we meet the small chapel of the Virgin Mary (Panagia) with some very old frescoes surviving in good condition. The temple is dedicated to the Dormition of Mary and celebrates on August 15.