Vathipetro is a very small settlement located 4km and 20km south of Archanes and Heraklion, respectively, in a location with spectacular views to the south side of Jiouchtas Mount and the dam of Chalavrianos. At position Piso Livadia, next to the village and the road connecting Archanes to Houdetsi, a Minoan mansion was revealed in 1949 by Spiros Marinatos. The excavations were completed in 1956, but restoration took place also in 1973. One of the restored rooms hosts a small exhibition with findings from the site.
This small palace was built in 1600BC but was destroyed in 1550BC to get restored partially in 1450BC. It had two floors, a central courtyard and was used as a luxury country house for a Minoan officer. The place housed an olive press, a wine press, a warehouse with 16 jars, a pottery workshop and a beautiful jar for carrying olive oil.