Cretan Forts

Corner

Castel del Corner
(2 votes)

Castel del Corner or fort of Paleochora is located on the hill Kastelos south of Katalagari village, at an area full of olive trees and vineyards. According to tradition, it was built by Nicephorus Phocas after the liberation of Crete by the Arabs in 961 AD.

The castle belonged to the Venetian family of Cornaro (Corner) and controlled their land. Almost nothing survives, except a part of the enclosure and the foundations of the buildings.

A few meters to the west there are many wine presses, carved into the soft limestone, which were used since the Minoan Era. During the Venetian rule, like many places in Crete, this placed produced large quantities of the wine variety Malvasia, one of the most famous wines in Europe of that era.

Just off the courtyard there is the small church of the Life-Giving Spring (Zoodohos Pigi), with murals preserved in very poor condition. A similar fortress with wine presses and a temple dedicated to Life Giving Spring is the fortress of Melissa by Agios Thomas village.

hotels booking Crete

 

Additional Info

  • Location: Heraklion Prefecture
  • Type: Fortress / Tower
  • Peak Period: Second Byzantine Era (961 AD - 1204 AD), Venetian Era (1204 AD - 1669 AD)
  • Accessibility: Dirt track
More in this category:

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net