The Minoan settlement of Vasiliki is located at the region of the village Vasiliki, province Ierapetra, at hill Kasteli, opposite the exit of the gorge of Ha and relatively close to the Minoan settlement of Gournia, at an elevated point that controlled the isthmus of Ierapetra. The settlement existed since 2600BC and flourished due to its strategic position and the fertile valley. The main buildings were destroyed by fire in 2300BC and later the were rebuilt on the hilltop. Impressive knowledge of urban planning seems to have been acquired by the Minoans since that era.
The site was first excavated in 1900 by the Americans Haryet Boyd and Richard B. Seager, but the most systematic excavations were made by Antonios Zois after 1970. The excavations have revealed a Minoan mansion (on the hill) with storage rooms and a courtyard.
In the ancient settlement of Vasiliki, impressive vessels were found, mainly pots and teapots, for the transport of liquids with elongated narrow spouts (mouths). These vessels are decorated with characteristic spots that are created with controled temperature in the ceramic kiln. The style of these vessels that were found in Vassiliki is called "Vassiliki ware" and it is considered that Vassiliki was the center of production of this type of vessels, which mainly date from 2300 BC to 1900 BC.