The Late Minoan settlement of Vrondas is located in an elevated position, 2km south of Kavoussi. It was inhabited during the setting of the Minoan Civilization by Minoans who moved to the peaks of the Cretan mountains so as to protect themselves from the Dorians who occupied the island.
Vrondas was first explored in 1900 by Harriet Boyd (Hawes), who found a large building with a forecourt and storerooms on top of the ridge, a massive wall along the east, eight beehive-shaped corbelled tombs (tholoi) to the north and northwest dating to the Subminoan Period (1025-1000 BC).
Excavations were renewed in 1987 and continued through 1992 under the auspices of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. They revealed a small settlement of the Late Minoan Period (1200-1025BC) on the summit with a large mansion on top, a shrine on the southwest and at least five house complexes. A late Minoan potter’s kiln west of the shrine has been reburied for protection. Also uncovered were 36 graves (745-680BC), containing cremation burials.
The site was also used in the Bronze Age (2650-1750BC). After the settlement was abandoned and long after its use as a cemetery (1025-710 BC), the site was reused after the Venetian Times for sporadic settlement, as evidenced by many abandoned buildings around. Within walking distance, there is the old monastery of Aghia Paraskevi, where one of the few arcosolium of Crete survives. Also, next to it, there is the easternmost cluster of Cypress in Crete.