The Late Minoan settlement of Azorias is situated on a hill with two peaks 1km southwest of the village Kavoussi. The town flourished in the Archaic Period (7th - 5th century BC).
The first excavations were made in 1900 by Harriet Boyd, and in 2002 they were renewed for 5 years. In the center of the settlement the archaeologists revealed public buildings, storerooms, a temple, and the alleys leading to the central court - agora. The inhabitants cultivated the surrounding slopes and valleys with olives, vines, cereals, and were also engaged in fishing, farming and pottery.
Azorias is an important archaeological finding, continuously inhabited since the Neolithic Age to the 5th century BC when it was destroyed by fire. It was reinhabited temporarily in 2nd century BC, when a tower overlooking the shores was built.