The unknown Minoan settlement of Pirgos is located shortly east of the coastal village of Myrtos, by Ierapetra, on a low hill overlooking the east bank of the river Krygios. It is located on a position overlooking the sea (to the south) and the forested range of Dikti (to the north) and was selected by the Minoans to live there, after abandoning the nearby settlement Fournou Kefali. The settlement flourished from 2200 BC to around 1450 BC.
The archaeological site was excavated by the archaeologist Gerald Catogan in 1969-70 and his work was continued by the British School of Archaeology in 1981-82. Many ruins of buildings were found, with one luxurious building at the hilltop, which apparently was the residence of the leader. The pottery found in Pirgos was quite elegant with very sophisticated and great art.
There is a short trail that heads, through the various buildings, at the top of the hill, which is the most interesting point with the floors, foundations, walls and various stairs consisting of colorful stones from white to purple creating a colorful puzzle.