The ancient town Falanna was located at the position of the abandoned settle Onithe, near Goulediana. It covers a large plateau in a naturally fortified site. The first use of the site is dated in the Neolithic Age, but the town flourished during the archaic times (7-6th century BC). It was a small town depended on city Rithimna.
Excavations have revealed two houses, an acropolis with walls and a fountain. Moreover, at this location there are traces of an early Christian basilica, which was excavated by Nikolaos Platon in 1947 and has dimensions 31mx15m. The basilica was built in the 5th-6th century and was covered with mosaic floors of geometric and floral themes.