Ancient Arcadia or Arcades was a town that is believed to have been built near the village Afrati. Archaeological excavations carried in 1924 unearthed ancient houses and a necropolis of the 7th-9th centuries BC with vaulted tombs. The city had strong alliances in the 2nd BC century. It minted its own currency, many coins of which were found at the site. The coins depict the head of Jupiter on one side and the head of Athena and the inscription ΑΡΚΑΔΩΝ on the other.
Of particular interest is the finding in Arcadia of a palm-shaped capital of the 7th century BC. imitating Egyptian pillars and being so far the only one found in Crete.