Brilliant churches, as well as male and female monasteries were built in Heraklion, especially during the rich Venetian Era. The seat of the Latin Archbishop was the church of Apostle Titus, which was built during the second Byzantine period and later. Heraklion today hosts the Archdiocese of Crete which operates under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople.
The church of Saint Onuphrius is located in the central market of Heraklion and is completely unknown as it is trapped by various shops of the streets 1866, Tsikritzi and Evans. Today one can see its dome from the market of 1866 street or the roofs of the adjacent buildings, while access to the interior of the church is only possible through Toulis bakery.
The Virgin Mary of the Crusaders (Crosecchieri) on what is now Markou Moussourou St. was part of the Latin rite Capuchin Monastery. The church was surrounded by monastery buildings and guest rooms for pilgrims and visitors on their way to the Holy Land.
The present-day Church of Saint Paraskevi in Monis Kardiotissis St. was built in the early 20th century and consecrated on 13th June 1910.
Saint George was a relatively small three-nave church built in the second Byzantine period and ceded to the Armenians who had settled in Heraklion at that time, possibly on the orders of Nicephorus Phocas.
The building operated as a nunnery (Monasterio Greco Madonna Acrotiriani) during the Venetian Era (17th century) and was a dependency of the monastery of Panagia Akrotiriani Toplou by Sitia. A document of 1671 states that the main temple was dedicated to St. John the Theologian, while there was another church dedicated to St. Peter.