The church of St. George at F(a)landra position is located near Phaistos and was the temple of a small monastery. Next to the church are preserved tombs of the Venetian Era (1581).
The first temple, which according to his will, was founded by Saint John Xenos in the late 10th century is nit surviving (apart from one cistern). The temple is Venetian and was firstly dedicated to the Virgin Mary (Panagia).
The monastery, which was fortified operated during the Ottoman Era, as indicated in manuscripts, as a dependency of Arkadi Monastery. In 1742 the Byzantine cistern was renovated and repaired (this one built by John Xenos). In the revolution of 1821 it was leveled and at the beginning of the century it preserved its fortified enclosure, the monk cells on the south and west ends, the south aisle of the church and the defensive tower in the west part of the north aisle (still standing).
Here camped, in the summer of 1900, the Italian archaeologists who excavated Phaestus palace.