The Early Christian Basilica of Olous (built around 4-5th century AD) is located at position Poros and was excavated in 1937 and 1960. This is a brilliant sample of religious architecture of its time and it is considered to have been the cathedral of the ancient town Olous, which is today submerged in the lagoon of Elounda.
Olous was probably the base of the local Diocese, as several more basilicas have been identified nearby. The mosaic floor of the basilica is one of the finest surviving samples in Crete with geometric templates, representations of dolphins and peacocks, and inscriptions of donors.
We also see the inscriptions of founders on the church floors that say in Greek
«ΘΕΟΔΟΥΛΟΣ ΥΠΕΡ CΩΤΗΡΙΑC ΕΑΥΤΟΥ ΕΔΩΚΕΝ CΙΜΙCΙΟΝ ΕΝ. ΧΡΙΣΤΕ ΒΟΗΘΙ ΤΩ ΔΟΥΛΩ CΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΙ.
ΑΝΤΑΞΙΟC ΥΠΕΡ CΩΤΗΡΙΑC ΕΑΥΤΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΠΑΝΤΟC ΤΟΥ ΟΙΚΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΥ ΕΔΩΚΕΝ CΙΜΙCΙΟΝ ΕΝ.