The monastery of Saint John the Merciful (Agios Ioannis Eleimon) is located very close to Chania airport, south of the village Pazinos or Gagalado at Cape Akrotiri, province Kydonia and close to the monastery of Agia Triada Tzagaroli; it was its dependency.
The monastery was founded in the 16th century and was fortified; its walls are preserved in excellent condition. The monastery is a rare sample in Greece of western monastic architecture, as the church is built outside the central courtyard, where the chiostro (tunnel) with monk cells is located. Therefore reason it is believed that the Catholic monastery of Saint George (Agios Georgios), which is mentioned at the census of 1637 by Kastrofilakas, was actually this monastery.
The main church is single-aisled with a pointed arch and is reinforced externally with buttresses. The entrance to the temple for the monks is from the south side, while for the visitors from a gate with a vaulted passage on the west side. To the north of the courtyard is preserved an exceptional specimen of monasterial olive mill, to which has been added a floor that served as a abbey.
- 16th century: the monastery of St. John the Merciful is founded at Pazinos.
- 1637: The monastery of St. George in Pazinos is listed at the census of Kastrofilakas, probably meaning the monastery of St. John the Merciful.
- 1832: The monastery is mentioned in a manuscript.
- 1992: Restoration works start at the monastery.