Saint John church near Agia Varvara

Theologos

Saint John church near Agia Varvara
(0 votes)

Between the villages Agia Varvara and Megali Vrysi, on a plateau full of vineyards, olive trees, almond trees and oaks we meet the church of St. John the Theologian. This point is located at 600 meters altitude, in the center of the island, and is of particular geological interest because it is the highest point in Crete where we meet marine fossils and shells. The church of St. John the Theologian, which still dominates the area, is surrounded by a large number of dilapidated buildings that are probably the remains of a medieval hamlet or monk cells. There is neither written evidence nor oral tradition which makes us conclude that it was probably deserted violently.

The only information we have about the church's history is that during the WWII a bomb exploded a few meters behind the sanctuary of the church. The bomb caused a still-visible mark on the wall of the sanctuary, but without destroying it. The church exterior is magnificent and quite tall and is identical to the cemetery church of Agia Pelagia in Agia Varvara located nearby. According to tradition, the same craftsman built both temples. The temple dates back from the later period of Venetian rule in Crete and a few years before the advent of the Turks. Inside there is the tomb stone floor and there is the outside of the temple impressive arcosolium.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Location: Heraklion Prefecture
  • Type: Church
  • Peak Period: Venetian Era (1204 AD - 1669 AD)
  • Accessibility: Dirt track

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net