The historic village of Therisso, which was the seat of the Cretan revolutionaries in the 1905 revolution under Eleftherios Venizelos, the most important Greek politician in modern Greece, is built on the northwestern roots of the White Mountains at an altitude of 580m. To approach it, one has to drive in the gorge Therisso of incomparable natural beauty, with a total length of 6 km.
The village houses two museums, the Therisso National Resistance Museum and the Headquarters of Therisso, which is housed in the building that served as the headquarters of the Therisso armed movement in March 1905, under Eleftherios Venizelos, at the request of the Union of Crete with Greece and the expulsion of Prince George from Crete. With the help of Konstantinos Manos and Konstantinos Foumis, the revolutionaries proclaimed the Union of Crete with Greece and printed the movement's newspaper Therissos, the official newspaper of the revolutionary government and stamps. The revolution spread throughout the island and after 8 months of tough negotiations with the four Powers on the island (Britain, Italy, France and Russia), the movement ended in a compromise. Although Therisso revolution did not ultimately end with the Union, the foundations were laid as Prince George was forced to leave Crete, the Cretan Parliament drafted a democratic constitution, and it was mainly Eleftherios Venizelos who emerged as an important political figure, who later changed the map of all of Greece as a Prime Minister.
The headquarters building was originally single-storey and belonged to the family Boulakas. Later, the second floor was added and the building was owned by several locals, until its final sale to the Greek state in 1985 by Ekaterini Stroggylaki. Since 1986, it housed the Historical and Folklore Museum of Therisso, and in 2000 the National Research Foundation “Eleftherios K. Venizelos” took care of it. Since 2019, the renovated museum has been radically rebuilt and functions as the Museum - Headquarters of the Therisso Revolution.
In addition to the flag of the movement bearing the phrase "Therisso 1905", the museum exhibits the press for the production of the newspaper of the revolutionary government and a uniform of the Cretan gendarmerie. There is also rich photographic and archival material, newspapers of the era, uniforms and other important relics, etc.